Depression Satan's Weapon In a War for Your Mind
By Linda Littlefield Copyright 1999 ChooseLife Ministries
Depression is real. We know that there are insufficient levels of the neurotransmitters serotonin & norephinephrine in depressed persons. Depression attacks our spirit and steals our joy in life. Just getting up or getting dressed in the morning is drudgery. We sleep to avoid the pain of living daily life. We want to be alone. We feel alone in a crowd.
We often ask ourselves, "Where did I go?" "Where did my life go?" Our family and friends feel as if they live with a stranger. They can’t understand the depth of our despair and they want us to simply "put a smile on our face; get on with it; cheer up!" Antidepressants reduce us to a body walking around without a soul…numb to the pain and torment that has become our daily life. In spite of all that modern science is doing to battle this illness, depression has been on the increase every year since 1915. Could it be that there is more to depression than we realize? You must decide for yourself. We will examine depression from a natural & spiritual point of view. This is not a discussion about mind over matter. Depression is real, but the weapons we use in battle depend on the kind of war we are fighting. We must choose our weapons based on a full understanding of our battle.
The fact is there is more to depression and all other illness, than we see in the physical realm.
The Bible teaches that there is a war going on in the earth between the forces of good and evil. It has been going on since Satan was cast down from heaven. In Ephesians 5:15, we see that "the days are evil". Ephesians 6:12 tells us that we war not with flesh and blood, but with powers and principalities, and spiritual wickedness in high places. Every aspect…yes, every detail of your life is affected by this warfare. The daily events of your life build one kingdom at the expense of the other.
In every war there is a quest for authority and a disputed territory. In this war of the ages, the authority in dispute is God’s authority, an authority delegated to God’s people. (Luke 9:1) The territory in dispute is your body (Romans 7:22-23).
God loves us; he created us. His desire for our life is wholeness, peace, happiness, prosperity, wellness, and joy.
In this war of the ages, Satan employs two very distinct tactics to battle against God’s people. First, he tries and keep us from believing there exists a living God, and if this does not work, he tries to keep us from experiencing all that is ours as a child of God.
The very real physical and mental illness known as depression is one scheme Satan uses to do this. Depression infects our heart and robs us of the health, peace, and joy that is ours as heirs in the royal Kingdom of God.
He has anointed me to preach the Gospel & heal the brokenhearted. Luke 4:18
Depression: A weapon of Spiritual Warfare
- 19 million Americans affected.
- Strikes women 2x as often as men.
- 15% of those affected commit suicide.
- 24 billion yearly in lost productivity
- 12 million on drugs to treat.
- Increasing every year since 1915.
How does this impact God’s Kingdom?
- America is a holy nation founded on godly principals.
- Women have the important Biblical jobs of bringing forth the future generations, raising Godly children, supporting man (God’s authority figure in the family), teaching other women the ways of God, caring for the needy & poor.
- 2,850,000 commit suicide
- $24,012,000,000.00 dollars taken from the kingdom of God. See( Deuteronomy 8:18)
Could it be that depression is not only a weapon of the enemy, but an effective one?
What are the Symptoms of Depression?
- Fatigue, exhaustion, tiredness, sleep disorders (either too much or to little)
- Feelings of emptiness, anxiousness, guilt, worthlessness.
- Profound sadness, lack of Joy.
- Despair, Hopelessness.
- Difficulty thinking, loss of concentration.
- He will wear out the Saints (Daniel 7:25)
The Bible tells us our strength comes from God. (Exodus 15:2), The Lord is my strength. (ll Samuel 22:33) God is my strength & power. (Psalm 29:11) The Lord will give strength to his people.
- Feelings of emptiness, guilt, and worthlessness: The Bible tells us that we are beloved of God. We are so valuable to him that he sent his only Son to die on the cross for us. (John 3:16) He loves us, values us, and wants fellowship with us.
- Profound sadness and lack of Joy: The Bible tells us our Joy is complete when we keep the commandments of Jesus and love each other as he loved us. (John 15:9) You will find your Joy when you take your eyes off yourself and feed, love & clothe others. (Isaiah 58:15 ) Joy is a fruit of the Holy Sprit. (Galatians 5:22)
- Despair & hopelessness: This is probably the most profound revelation. Despair in the Bible comes from the Greek word Ex-ap-or-eh-om-ahee, which means TO RENOUNCE ALL HOPE. The Bible tells us Christ is our hope!
Could Depression be the work of Satan to steal the inheritance God promises us, not just in heaven, but in this life?
What Causes Depression?
- Genetic pre-disposition
- Traumatic event such as divorce, bankruptcy, child abuse, sexual abuse, death or loss of a loved one.
- Genetic pre-disposition (through bloodline) For I the Lord am a jealous God visiting the inequities of the fathers upon the children to the third & fourth generation. (Exodus 20:5) Has someone in your family also suffered depression?
- Environment: Have the circumstances or relationships in your life opened the door of your heart to depression?
- Personal Sin: unforgiveness, anger, bitterness, self-pity, and guilt, lack of care for your body, poor nutrition, and an unhealthy lifestyle. Anger gives the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:26-27) Anger grieves the Holy Spirit. ( Ephesians 4:29-32 )
The spirit of despair is evil, but victory is already yours. Read our tract Choosing Your Weapon and find out how to get free today! Satan is a liar, the father of deception. The Bible has all the wisdom you need to be free of Satan’s hold on your life today. Isn’t it time you took your joy back?
We have become accustomed to looking for solutions to every day problems in the secular realm. We have conditioned our minds to believe what science and the doctors tell us. More than what the Word of God tells us. We go to church on Sunday to save our eternal souls, but come Monday, we trust our prosperity, health, and happiness to the physical realm in which we live. Satan has cheated us. He has robbed us of the inheritance that is ours in this life on this earth, but Satan is a liar. If we are to fight a good fight of faith in this world, and live lives that reflect our adoption as members of the royal family of God, we must renew our minds; we must live as spiritual beings who occupy physical bodies; we must put on the whole armor of God, and claim our Holy citizenship. We must choose weapons for a battle against powers, principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places. We must start to claim the victory that is already ours. We must stop believing Satan’s lies and receive the blessings that are ours as children of a Living GOD. God is our faithful, loving Father. His will for us is peace (shalom), which is wholeness, meaning nothing missing, nothing broken. Our Christian lives should be so full of shalom, joy, and prosperity that non-Christians want to become Christian, because they want what we have. When our daily lives are consumed in strife, sickness, disease, and poverty, Satan uses this to deceive unbelievers, and keep them from their inheritance the Kingdom of God. Too many of us become born again and receive eternal salvation, but we leave it there. We never receive the wholeness of body, mind, and spirit that God promises us. Depression infects our hearts and robs us of joy that is ours. It keeps us from doing God’s work in the earth, and diverts billions of dollars out of the Kingdom of God.